How's the snow?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jerlane

How's the snow?

Post by jerlane »

I was thinking about heading out to Lake Minnetonka or Calhoun this afternoon. Any reports on how the snow is holding out?
Lee_Uptown

Re: How's the snow?

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Well, it doesn't look good. I last went out on Sunday and it was sticky and heavy. By now, after a 3 cycles of freeze thaws, it's probably crappy. I'd lock myself up in the lab and clean up -80.
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I was on Wayzata bay this morning using my 9m and when I was on the ice patches is when it sucked. I went across one time and back and went home. There is a lot of water on top of the ice too. Very poor cond.
If you go take care and be safe.

Dave
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

Thanks for the reports. I may drive by Calhoun on my way home, but it doesn't sound very hopeful.
pete168

Post by pete168 »

I hit Forest Lake about 9am this morning. Took a walk out on the ice/slush/water and didn't even bother getting a kite out. We either need the warmth to smooth out the lakes, then refreeze it, or another good dumping of snow.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,totally worn out and loudly proclaiming. WOW! What a ride!!
JRN

Post by JRN »

DITTO. Drove past WBL. Can you say SLUSH BOWL? Maybe long johns under a dry suit. It should drop below freezing by the weekend. I'm going south, which should guarantee great conditions while I'm gone. You're welcome for taking one for the team. :wink:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
mike371

Post by mike371 »

Up here in the Hackensack area the snow is disappearing fast but rideable. I just got back from a fun light wind session on a small lake just north of Backus with a 7.5 Apex 3. Apparent wind ROCKS
Denis

Post by Denis »

Checked out Calhoun around noon. Puddles everywhere and the snow going fast. It looks like this.
melted_calhoun_feb11_2_sm.jpg
melted_calhoun_feb11_2_sm.jpg (128.69 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I kited on Turtle lake today & made a wake! :shock:

I think we need colder weather and more snow.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Hi

I rode on calhoun from 5 to 6.30 pm today.. very slushy conditions but quite fun..
from the shore it looked much worse than it actually was once you're riding..
the skis had a good grip and the surface although very watery was uniform..
at the end I was not even too wet..
there was just another kiter (many thks for launching my soaking wet foil!) and he was also enjoying it..

problem was the wind.. was around 10/12 when I started and dropped to 7 or less as I left

ciao
f.
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

The only time I am truly happy on the flat is with about 8 inches water over thick ice. Planing a snowboard is a thrill and you get to really spray the slush sideways. I can release my edge from the ice in about 3 inches of water, but the fun starts when you get to that 8 inches where you really can carve without touching the ice.