Kiting at Captiva Island Florida

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

pepe

Kiting at Captiva Island Florida

Post by pepe »

Hi All,
has anyone kited at Captiva Island Florida?
Going there in April and am looking for tips on good kiting locations?
Thanks,
Peter
tom_latcham

Re: Kiting at Captiva Island Florida

Post by tom_latcham »

I have seen kiters on fort myers beach. Also as you cross the toll bridge to sanibel island. You will see kiters and windsurfers launching just to the right or left of the toll bridge on sanibel island if the wind is up. On Mcgreggor about 1/2 mile before the toll bridge to Sanibel you will find Ace performer watersports 230-489-3513. They rent repair and give lessons for kiteboarding. They would be your best spot for local knowledge about tides currents and conditions. based on wind condition. I always seek out local knowledge when kiting on the ocean. They will know more about Captiva. I wish I was going. I have kited by the light house on sanibel and it was great But I don't remember what wind direction is best and their are tides and current. I left my credit card with girfriend so she could rent a jet ski and save me if necessary.
Good Luck: TL
pepe

Re: Kiting at Captiva Island Florida

Post by pepe »

Thank you! This is good information. Here is their contact info:

16842 McGregor Boulevard
Fort Myers, FL 33908-3713
(239) 489-3513

I was hoping to rent a board form them for a week so I don't have to hide mine in a golf bag. But the rate is $150 for a week for board rental. I will definitely seek local knowledge before going out. I'm exited to hit the warm water.....