Solution to Broken Pump Handles

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

enderbeanz

Solution to Broken Pump Handles

Post by enderbeanz »

Hello all,

I was pumping on Sun. after the big Dec. Blizzard and as it inevitably happens to those of us who choose to pump their kites in the winter, SNAP! I broke the manufacturers handle right off and there I was with a partially inflated kite and a pump that was half the pump it used to be. Determined to get my first ride of the season I soldiered on and finished inflating, albeit with much effort. I found my self angry at the manufacturers for building such a worthless flimsy piece of junk. Then I realized that they are intended for use on beautiful 90 deg beaches not 4 deg frozen lakes and that was likely the reason for the break. I considered for a moment just purchasing a new pump until I realized that this would not solve the problem of cold weather durability. So I set out to design a permanent solution to this problem

1.) My first attempt was to simply epoxy the Handle back on using Loctite plastic epoxy which the packaging said would hold at a strength of 3200 PSI. While the epoxy held the handle in place once it was set the handle snapped again after about 10-15 strokes on the pump while out on the lake :( and I was no where near the amount of force exerted when the kite is near its suggested inflation point.

2.) My second and I believe final attempt involved me constructing a post market handle from a 3/4" PVC Tee and some 3/4" PVC pipe (see pictures). The Tee contains threads on the bottom port which joined snugly with the threads already on the pumps shaft. Then I cut two 5" lengths of the 3/4" pipe and pressure fit them into the two remaining ports on the Tee. I think they will remain firmly in place without gluing them in this also allows for the option to disassemble or repair if either of the handles or Tee were to break. I also left the ends open to allow for pump to draw properly.

In total I spent $2.00 on the Tee and the pipe which I had to buy a 5' section of which is fine b/c now I have some for repair or other projects. This solution ended up cheaper than the $4.00 I spent on epoxy. I haven't tried to inflate yet but it seems sturdy and If my pump ever decides to stop working and I actually have to buy a new one then I can transfer this handle to the new one b/c I know the manufacturers will likely break.

Anybody else have Post Market Pump mods that they have found useful?
Attachments
Broken Pump Handle.JPG
Broken Pump Handle.JPG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
New Pump Handle Front.JPG
New Pump Handle Front.JPG (18.41 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
New Pump Handle Side.JPG
New Pump Handle Side.JPG (19.89 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
mdh01

Re: Solution to Broken Pump Handles

Post by mdh01 »

Your mod looks nice! I've never had a pump handle or shaft break, but I also use a Coleman battery powered pump to inflate 90% of the kite, so the amount of pumping I end up doing is pretty minimal.

Nice job!

Mark
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Nice! I am amazed at the amount of stuff we make for ourselves that the manufacturers are clueless about. It goes to show how this sport is still in its infancy.
MK

Post by MK »

Interesting and creative. Did you also install the valve and guage? Maybe that was part of the original design. I do have a pump that has a broken "inflate" connection (it got stepped on). Maybe I'll use your mod to resurrect it. I'll need to figure out the Inflate and Deflate component for my pump since it is part of the handle.
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

The fix was rather simple because it did not involve me having to re-plumb the inflate port along with the guage. Its location not on the pump handle was the original design. The picture of the old handle shows where the deflate port was but I never used it anyway. I simply left the ends of the new handle open so it would function the same but I couldn't actually use it to deflate.
enderbeanz

Post by enderbeanz »

Hello all,

Finally just got out this morning after a long drought. Pumped up my 13 m with my PVC pump mod and it worked great! Launched out of Mahtomedi and rode WBL from 9:30 - 11:15 am but the wind started to build and I couldn't hold down my 13 m any more so I packed it up. Surface was hard and wind blown with nice drifts for kickers but lots of truck ruts and Ice Hole mounds.