Lake of the Woods!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Kosk

Lake of the Woods!

Post by Kosk »

Got 2 great sessions at Rocky Point, Lake of the Woods this past weekend. This is a great little launch on the east side of Muskeg bay across from Warroad. (about 20minute drive) Will work on a S to N with any W in it. Fairly shallow a ways out, and sandy, easy drift launching. A bank of rocks lines the beach from the water, and the beach isn't very wide, so assisted launching and landing is tight, and the rocks can easily grab lines, but experienced kiters & kite launchers shouldn't have too much trouble. There are no services or toliets out there, but plenty of woods. Bring food and water and watch out for poison ivy. Locals seemed cool with me kiting and enjoyed watching the dangle show.

The swell is awesome! Big, tall spaced out breakers, the wave period is a lot longer than Mille Lacs. They also seemed to rise and break longer, allowing for longer rides down the line on a given wave and the extra space gives you time to jibe and set up for the next one going the other way. Based on the KRRT readings posted, I would say add 5-10mph for RP from what is recorded by KRRT across the bay. Friday after a short 13m, Aboards Glider session in 12mph (a stray white cap here or there) a brief rain shower passed, the wind died, and then it cranked up to high-high twenties, with gusts easily in the mid-30s! I was WAY over powered on the 11m and my small board. Should have brought the 9m! Saturday was another solid 11m session, just at the upper edge of the kites range, kinda uncomfortable in the gusts. Again, based on my experience with this kite and the KRRT recorded wind speed, I would again say add 5-10mph to the forecasted KRRT wind. I'm fairly certain it was blowing mid twenties with gusts up to low 30s. Perhaps anyone with more experience on LOTW can confirm my hunch about this difference between the readings on the west side of the bay and the actual wind blowing across to Rocky Point.

After chatting with some of my family friends who have lived up here for quite some time, this place seems to be an untapped treasure of shallow bays and sand bars, with acres of waist deep water and fairly regular wind. Only trouble is a lot of is only accessible by boat. Anybody up for a houseboat trip? To bad the "warmer" riding weather is only a couple months a year.

Pete

Re: Lake of the Woods!

Post by Pete »

Were you launching from Arneson's, rigging on the grass at the end of the road next to the south side of the harbor? If so, there is public beach access to the south of where it appears you are. Check out google maps to find the road to this spot. It's the last road heading toward the lake before the final turn into Rocky Point. The road goes along a bunch of trailers and leads right to the beach. Depending on the water level, you may find all the sand beach you ever wanted for rigging and setting your lines out. Yea, great spot for waves. My family has a cabin on Rocky Point, have had some excellent windsurfing sessions there. Have not been up for a few years though.
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

Pete,

Yes, I was launching from the public beach area at end of the road in trailer park cabin area. It's a nice spot. For other's reference, the left turn into this spot is right across from a large tan and green storage barn, before the last turn in CR-17. Water was up to the rocks. Enough beach to rig, but maybe only two kites wide until the woods. Plenty of mowed grass right around the jungle gym and parknig area though to rig on as well.

-Pete
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

I wouldn't say it's untapped. I learned to ride up there and have at least half a dozen spots scoped out...OK, more than that but plenty to have options for any wind direction and lots of flat water or wave spots. I have a couple marked on localkitespots.com. Pretty sure Rocky Point is on there...I live just south of Rocky Point for awhile and it blows there far more often than any forecast would tell!
Glad you enjoyed it and the pictures brought back lots of memories!
dtownkiter

Post by dtownkiter »

cool spot and great work on the photos! i would like to get up there and check it out. what kind of drive time is involved from Minneapolis?
adam t
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

I've always wanted to check out the Candian side of Lake of the Woods up near Sable Islands - looks awesome from google maps.
BBAddict

Post by BBAddict »

Depends on what spot you're headed to. I regularly did the drive in 6 hours or a tad less. Less than that to Upper Red Lake by an hour or so. Options in between here and there as well. It would make for a fun tour.