Herbster Heaven

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Randy

Herbster Heaven

Post by Randy »

What an amazing little spot. Showed up Wednesday to building wind and road my 7.4M and 12M, parked 20' feet from the water and slept with the van door open to watch the Northern Lights and a local fireworks show. Many of the fellow campers hadn't seen these windsports, so their supportive energy was deeply felt. I had played my horn and felt similar support and just when I thought I might be good, a woman comes up and asks me to move down the beach so she can better hear the waves crashing. So hard to balance our desire to express and our sensitivity to another's fresh experience. She taught me the value in breaking into the sounds of nature and humbled me back to a softer tone. (the next day I received multiple thanks for the sound of the horn as I worked to stay from any thoughts of good or bad)

Woke to solid 25mph and excellent terrain from blowing all night. The wind had shifted a little more NW and the dawn patrol went to lunchtime. Riding a 2010 Cab Switchblade and 140 Prodigy...amazing product. Easy to launch and land on the beach, and huge range. Took a 6M windsurf session before things mellowed a little for another kite session.
It's so great to have such fan steady wind. This little campsite, where you can tent next to the water, is a national treasure. Can't say I've seen many places this magical.

The three days of NW flow has been beyond my wildest dreams. Looks like I won't make it to Canada, but have been so filled with the beauty of these windsports. While this was another solo session, those campers and their enthusiasm for the sport rode with me throughout the two days.

ps. Heads up on Cornucopia, eight miles down from Herbster. I had been missing the shallow water Malmo has for trying new things and went to Cornucopia to practice my horn. The city park is gorgeous, the bay seems a little better for N and NE, but still gives a great NW direction, the dunes give a little more safety, but the best is that it's waist deep out about 100 yards. This definitely seems a counterpart to Mille Lacs north shore with potential for bigger terrain.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Lee_Uptown

Re: Herbster Heaven

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Randy,

Where is this? It sounds great!
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Randy, so good to hear from you and know that all's well. I've been riding the same winds this week over here in Leelanau: an amazing three days-in-a-row culminating in last night's sunset session with NW clearing winds at 20-25 knots. At dusk on the beach we grilled salmon we caught earlier, built a drift wood fire and watched the northern lights come out. There are so many beautiful moments in life and this was certainly one of them.

In late afternoon I, too, put down the kite for the windsurfer for a session when the wind and waves came up sharply for a bit. While kiting I stay in the near shore and ride the break, on my wave board and 4.7 I took a couple of reaches well off shore, about three miles out, in 500 feet of dark blue water and rolling bus-sized swells with foamy crests. The power of the open lake was overwhelming and I finally jibed down a huge face to head back laughing out loud and feeling very small.

To be humbled in these ways, while playing in and with nature, is indeed a great privilege.

Bill
JRN

Post by JRN »

COLOR ME GREEN WITH ENVY! :mrgreen: YOU'LL find both of RJ's spots on the West side of the Bayfield penninsula. Enjoy it for the rest of us, Guys. Sounds awesome. Not sure where Leelanau is though. Hawaii?
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

I'm having a hard time living in the now when I'm so jealous. I may have to re-retire.
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

Leelanau, an Indian word meaning: "Delight of Life," certainly reflects what can be seen when traveling this peninsula, one of Michigan’s gems. This name, suggested by Henry Schoolcraft, Michigan’s Indian agent during the mid 1800’s, aptly fits the feeling one gets when looking over the pristine waters, clear blue sky and forested coastlines of Grand Traverse Bay and Lake Michigan.
Leelanau County was officially established in 1863 with Northport as the County Seat until 1882, when it was transferred to Leland. The lighthouse, at the peninsula’s northernmost point, (currently a museum open in the summer), was first constructed in 1858 to guide freighters through the Manitou Passage, and marks the entrance to the Grand Traverse Bay. Leelanau County’s scenery is hard to beat: from the Sleeping Bear Dunes just north of Empire, to inland Lake Leelanau, to the calm waters of Omena and Suttons Bays, there is plenty to do. Not to mention the cherry orchards, or taking the summer ferry from Leland to North Manitou Island. Leelanau County is truly a must-see for anyone who has an interest in Michigan, no matter what season of the year.
Mark F
JRN

Post by JRN »

GOOGLE KNOWS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:
WARNING:
Randy

Post by Randy »

Woody and Woodette, please forgive my ways. In the excitement of wind I took off without my passport. I've been so used to just crossing with my driver's license and haven't caught up with our changing times. Oh well, I traveled east and caught some remnants of our system in Marquette Bay. It took some time to find a good public launch, but there are some pristine beaches. Great to be in Lake Superior without neoprene. Looks like southerlies building today, so heading down to north shore of Lake Michigan. Bill, if I didn't have to get home Monday I'd head your way. Thanks for the post. It creates some great images to how blessed we are.

For those of you jealous, I suppose that's why we're a little reluctant to post. However, I think it builds the stoke and sets the possibility for short road trips like these. The 72 Experimental has been pretty spot on.

Heads up for future road trips in late September or October? Last year it seemed to blow over here all the time.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Yes, Herbster's is a beautiful spot. The whole south shore east of Port Wing is really something!
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Randy

Post by Randy »

Just when you think it can't get better....surprise! On Saturday I pulled into Munisung (Pictured Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore) to see the bay filled with whitecaps from an unexpected southerly flow. I went to Sand Point and kited pristine sugar sand, waistdeep water. There's a sand beach in the gap between Grand Island and the mainland that creates our loved venturi. There's a huge playground on the backside of ankle to waste deep water. There's a mile long beach totally open to the full fetch of Lake Superior for those wanting waves. It's the closest thing to the Caribbean I've found anywhere. If you love Bonaire, this place now with Superior's warm water is jackpot for kiters. I met a couple who lived there and expressed how lucky they are to live in such a paradise and they replied in agreement stating that their last name was 'lucky'.
The wind died later that afternoon and I drove an hour south to the north shore of Lake Michigan and kited 20mph silk smooth wind before the sun rolled down. Traveled south toward Marinette in state 35 where there are about three gorgeous county campgrounds ($10) right on the lake, with about 50-100 yards of waistdeep water to play in.

Traveling back on Wisconsin 29 Sunday I stopped for my horn practice on a cul de sac down from a mental hospital. They were having a big picnic and invited me to join. I suppose my steady supply of windfix had put an odd look on my face. An hour into my solitude, Tighe walks from behind my van having seen me from the freeway. We shared the stoke, philosophized and just giggled at how great all this stuff is. Now in recuperation, but definitely keeping my eye on the next NW flow moving across the south shore.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
JRN

Post by JRN »

THE NEWS FRON THE MUSE WE CAN USE! Thanks for sharing & exploring all these cool spots to expand our horizons. :D
WARNING:
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

I can relate to your post. I've been sober for a little over 3 months. I hit a version of "rock bottom" after nearly 20 years of "controlled drinking".
My banjo is a little like your horn. I was at a treatment center north of Grand Rapids for a while and sometimes it was hard to hear the loons with a television on in a room next door to the meditation room.

Your post reminds me of a time when I used to feel very connected with my higher power. I have spent time trout & salmon fishing in the same areas you have decribed. Maybe it is time for another visit to the Bayfield area. It's a little soon for a Jeff Clark's Mavericks session.

I have had great difficulty accepting life on life's terms. Some say it's as simple as adjusting your sail. I've had about 5 sober kite sessions without at least 2 or 3 beers in me. My kite skills are not enough to quell my deep fear of the unknown. Serenity, connection to the Life Force, love, and wisdom is what I am seeking. The wind is a good metaphor. Honesty and humility is what I am trying to develop. I have been surrounded by darkness & death.

This post is my first attempt at making amends to anyone in this Forum who might have been offended by any of my drunken, angry posts that went along with isolation, hopelessness, resentment, and despair. I apologize to all of you.

Michael
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
barnabus

Post by barnabus »

:D true life is only available to those fully awake. That is, Life in its purest form. become the ubermensch.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thank you, Michael. Tears and joy, all in one. I guess that's why I love the blues and why I love windsport. There's simply no room to wallow in what was or to whine about what we think should be...just the peace that comes from making space to find the gift in what's given.

A great Chicago bluesman, Otis Spann, wrote the following lyric:

Everybody wonder where the blues come from
Everybody wonder where the blues come from
Waaaay down in the lowland (from the depths of living)

When you in trouble, Blues is a man's best friend
When you in trouble, Blues is a man's best friend
Blues don't care where you goin', Blues don't care where you been

Jane and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary at Bluesfest in Duluth tomorrow and we'll probably be heading over to Herbster or Cornucopia on Sunday for another NW flow. Maybe we'll see you there.

Facing life is about being awake. It's so tempting to go to sleep. The work you're doing now is huge, for all of us. Your post went a long way for waking to 'this moment'. Much gratitude for your authentic response.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com