Windnesday destinations

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Windnesday destinations

Post by Eric S »

Where are you going? When and Why?

I'm thinking Green, Waconia, Mille Lacs or Byllsby. Looks like it should blow early NW and move to the SE part of the state later.

I think if you could take the whole day off, Mille Lacs, but if you can get the afternoon off head down to Byls or somthing SE.

I'm fairly certain it will be Mille Lacs for me. Let's face it, the swell on Byls might be fantastic but Mille Lacs... Huge and humbling grind you up kind of shore-pound, for a lake that is.

Where are you going if you can get out?

## update 11:25AM tues ##

I just heard from Jerry S. At this point we hope to do a dawn patrol at Mille Lacs then chase south east if the wind drops or home if our bodies drop.

## update 8:30PM ##

Getting up at 5AM to check wind. Will meet Jerry at Hardees in Milaca at 8AM if Mille Lacs is looking like the call in the AM. First stop, Izaty's

## update 4:13 AM windnesday morning ##

ohh ohh, I hear the wind a blowing outside. I'm checking this site now for wind updates. my stomach is starting to get butterflies. I need to poop. Now, where's my coffee?

## update 7:26AM ##

On the road, dumped all my big stuff out of the van. Sure sign that it will not blow. Oh well. Have fun where ever you go. Might hit Green if it slows down at Mille Lacs.

over and out.
Last edited by Eric S on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Byllesby. Early to mid-afternoon. WNW rocks there, the swells are swell, it's 15 minutes from home.

See you on the water!
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

If I can get out of work early it's Byllesby or Pepin. Depending upon direction or if it goes more NW Lake City is the call. Otherwise, Mahtomedi on the Bear is a blast on a NW.
Chris

Wacky Weeds

Post by Chris »

Eric,

Glad you're finally able to get out. I've got to be back in town by 5:30. So I'll probably wind up at Waconia. But Mille Lacs and Bylesby are tempting. Yesterday at Waconia, the wind was strong and the chop was nice but the weeds were terrible. More than once, I looked down, saw a hanging weed, chop hopped to get it off, came down, and saw two hanging weeds. I'm not kidding.

Chris Butzow.
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

So Chris it sounds like it was a really bad weed day as oppossed to a normal bad weed day (ie your posts a couple weeks ago).

I have to be somewhere at 4ish so I am hoping to be at Mahtomedi on WB for a lunchtime session if I can get away from work. I have been bummed I couldn't meet Barry there on Friday or Monday, not to mention the nice warm breezes on Sat. The rides at Maht are as good as anywhere except for ML or Pepin on a strong W-NW. I'm guessing the swell kicks up there because it has a long fetch and that it is the deepest part of the lake (83') and then it changes to 15' deep in a rather short distance.

Just hoping to get on the water for a little bit. Enjoy another Windy Wednesday!!
KO
Kevin Ousdigian
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

a surf safari, sounds awesome. It would be great if you could do Mille Lacs, Byllesby and Pepin all in one day. If you do, do a photo documentary, love them in the past.

I don't have the whole day so I'm most likely heading to waconia. Can't imagine the weeds will be an issue at 4.0. I'm hoping to sail and kite if the conditions permit. Something about doing both in one day, is like a menage a' trois. Don't let anyone fool you, you can't do them at the same time. How sweet it is!
Tighe
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

It's going to be Mille Lacs or Pepin for me. One of the suck holes has to blow tomorrow. The super tight gradient is lined up with the ripping jet stream. Looks like a possible 3.5er. Clouds & rain are the only thing that could screw up tomorrow!
johntr

Post by johntr »

I think I'll be WBL-ing it, but I prefer to *avoid* the swell everyone else is so excited about. How's Bellaire on WNW? Seems like it would be a reasonable ride, perhaps with flatter water.

See you on the water!
John
dave t

Post by dave t »

I am leaning toward Byllesby with an option for Pepin.

Mille Lacs is so tempting but the forcast has more chance for wind killing rain.

Right now the experimental is out of date in all time frames so plans based on it might not be as reliable as a current run.

I do have pretty much the whole day so my options are wide open.

Looking forward to another wild Windnesday!!!!
Paul_c

Post by Paul_c »

I, too "prefer to *avoid* the swell everyone else is so excited about". I'm just beginning to learn to water start, so windy but flat would be best (I think).
Thanks to all you experienced folk at Ramsey last Wednesday. Your tips and encouragement were wonderful!

Comments from anyone on Bellaire on WNW? Flatter than Mahtomedi?

-Paul
Kirk D.

Post by Kirk D. »

Avoid the swells - sacrilege! (just kidding) Last wednesday I heard another windsurfer use the phrase "too windy", what is this world coming to...

Joking aside, have a great time out there tomorrow everyone - wherever you all end up. Might be a bit frustrating learning to waterstart if the forecast holds up to its potential, but we all have been through it, don't give up.

Looking forward to postings on how good it turns out, 0% chance of me getting out of work.

Kirk
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

:shock: I want my small 3.0........... Sounds like a Dire Staights song.
I want to avoid the weeds on Wac so let me know guys if it is Pepin or Mille Lacs. I have got the whole day after 10 am. WNW how is that at Pepin? Waves, wind and buds need to get away for the day.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

I'm out of jail in the afternoon. Pete, Bill, Chris B or anyone from the "South" could ya'll let us know where you're going and how the conditions are when you get there?! I figure more W in WNW go to Byllesby and more NW head to Lake City?
steve tuohy

Post by steve tuohy »

Got the whole day off, the forecast is holding up - - I'm about to piss my pants! Lookin at Pepin or Byllesby for another epic Wednesday!! :lol:
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

If I'm heading south, I'm seriously considering Pepin WI. A bit further than Lake City though much better if the wind has considerable west in it. I think Lake City works best NW to NNW (when not from the E or SE). I've only sailed Lake City and Pepin WI once each so I don't have nearly the knowledge of Chris, Greg, Pete, etc. (Pepin Locals).

We'll see what tomorrow brings. The factors that go into the decision are huge: Wind, swell potential, water condition (weeds, etc), clan, kite launch potential if wind drops off, DRIVE, etc. Someone please create some software to help us decide. Then again there are no bad decisions, just wind frenzy ramblings.
Tighe
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'll be heading to Lake Pepin. NW ~ Lake City. WNW ~~ Pepin, WI. Planning on meeting Chris Brown at one of those locatoins by 11AM. Will be on the lookout for the MoNsTeR Swell! Yeeee Haaaaaa~~~~~

For a live report dial 507-251-4308 between 10:30 - 11:00
stevenP

Waconia

Post by stevenP »

Since everybody seems to be posting on their destination, I thought I would join the fray. I will probably be heading for Waconia for Wednesday as I am rather driving adverse. I was there last week and didn't have any weed issues. See you there...
sPk
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hey sPk and Waconia considerers,

I was at Waconia yesterday (tues) and was practicing pumping in the non-existant south winds. I pumped out to the island and back. I really didn't see many floating weeds anywere. I think they all blew away. I think it would be fine there today.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Ok work decided I need to do a few this this morning. Based upon rain and stonger wind potential and lack of weeds it looks like WAconia for me today about noon. :P