Maneuverability

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

Maneuverability

Post by chanrider »

Now that my kids are getting a little older (4 & 2) I am committing more to T-ball coaching and other Dad things since they are boys and that’s what a lot of dads tend to do. So I am sailing less. And kiting a lot less. For some reason windsurfing seems a little more appropriate for the occasional sesh, not sure why.

Anyway, in my limited experience this season I think windsurfers and kiters are sharing the lake very well. Since I’m windsurfing even in light wind, I’m again reminded at how limited my upwind/downwind ability on freeride gear is compared to kites. That said, most kiters seem to sense what’s going on and do the right thing.

If a windsurfer is powered and planing nicely, they probably prefer pass to upwind of kite. If a windsurfer is shlogging or struggling to stay on a plane they are most likely going to need to go downwind of a kite which has a natural advantage to choose a course in most conditions. When it gets sketchy, I find myself hucking the windsurf board aggressively downwind to try and stay on plane, especially when coming into shore when the wind gets dirty.

This seems to kind of work itself out naturally on the water, so maybe this is pointless rambling. But this year I have typically seen kiters looking back before they turn and also picking up a good a line to pass the windsurfers so that’s a good thing. Keep up the good work!
Mark F
SteveJ

Re: Maneuverability

Post by SteveJ »

Your 4 year old should be ready to get out on kids windsurf gear soon if not this year then next. Light wind with your kids can make those low wind days way more exciting.
Get them started early on sailing if you would rather spend time on the water over the ball fields.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Interesting comment Mark and good to hear. One of the things I enjoy about Waconia is the lack of segmentation, on and off the water. Seems like the stoke is shared by all whether on the water or in the parking lot post sess. Maybe it's because many Waconia riders do both sports. It's all good.

Hope you can squeeze in a few more sessions Mark. Enjoy those early years with your boys though, it goes by fast.

ride on
Tighe
johnz

Post by johnz »

Channy,
Nice to hear from you!

I have a kids rig you can have, borrow, buy, or whatever... Nothing fancy, but it'll do more good in your hands than in my garage! :P

Just gimmeacall...
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
MK

Post by MK »

Good topic. I get asked by student frequently about right of way. There are a few posts from the past that reference this but it is good to have a current comment.

Tomorrow looks like it may be a good wind day...

Mike