Heading to the Beartoohs for Spring Snow & Trout

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike B

Heading to the Beartoohs for Spring Snow & Trout

Post by Mike B »

I should be in the Beartooths via Cooke City by Sunday or Monday. They got a lot of snow the past 5 weeks and the snowpack at 9500' is at 83 inches. Forcast for next week is for sun and corn snow conditions at the Top of the World/Chain Lakes area. A great spot for drive-up high elevation snowkiting. The road from Cooke City over Coulter Pass to the Top opf the World/Chain Lakes area is scheduled to open on May 14th. Beartooth Pass (US 212) will be closed until at least Memorial Day. There are also oportunities to kite in the Hayden Vally of Yellowstone and the Bighorns. The other bonus is great trout fishing on the Clark's Fork in the afternoons or if there is no wind.

If anyone is thinking of heading out that way, give me a call.

six5one-3four3-two4six9

I should be in that area from this Sunday through Thursday or Friday.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Bill S.

Re: Heading to the Beartoohs for Spring Snow & Trout

Post by Bill S. »

Mike, totally envious. Last June I took a ski team I coach to the Beartooth for a race camp. While I didn't bring my kite gear we did some climbing and skiing in the area you're talking about. It truly is the Top of the World. The owners of the lifts on top of the pass decided the snow pack isn't deep enough to merit opening after Memorial Day this season, but you should be in great shape up there for riding. Good luck on the Clark Fork, too. I have always stopped and fished it en route to and from the Gorge in the summer. What a great trip--enjoy!

Bill
Pat Hinch

Post by Pat Hinch »

Mike - You should have PLENTY of snow. I'm planning on another Memorial Day Weekend trip up there.
Extending the snowkite season is great!! Have a good trip.
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

Have fun up there Mike- hope you get some good wind. Take some pics and video if you can. Maybe next year I'll join you... gotta stock up on the vacation time.
MK

Post by MK »

It ain't over yet! Nice of you to post this. It sounds ideal and a perfect way to shut down the snow season. If I wasn't in Chicago next week I'd figure out a way to score a few days. Enjoy and post.