Cold weather sleeping bags?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bryce

Cold weather sleeping bags?

Post by Bryce »

Anyone have some good leads on a cold weather bag? I wanted one for winter camping and kiting. The one I have is not quite warm enough.

DavidKnight if you see this... What kind of bag did you have?
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
DavidKnight

Re: Cold weather sleeping bags?

Post by DavidKnight »

Hey Bryce,

My bag's a -40 down bag made by Marmot- it has the Gore Dryloft shell to help keep the down dry. I think it's the CWM model... can't remember if it's the CWM or the COL... one is -20 and one is -40... mine's the -40.

The secret to staying warm in the winter is not so much the bag, but the pad. I have the ExPed Down Mat Deluxe 9.... basically an air mattress filled with down. Super warm and comfy... even in summer.

Sometime we gotta do a trip. I'll be up on the north shore this weekend building an igloo on Monday for the John Beargrease turnaround point on the Sawbill Trail.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Those down bags look really nice but are spendy I gotta keep my eyes open for a good used one.

I got a thick thermorest that I use with a foam pad. Together those work OK. Maybe after I get a nice bag I can eye up those pads.

Yeah I am totally down for a trip. I'll probably bring my stuff for the duluth event and camp out at that. It is nice getting out there... I spent a night sleeping out on the deck a couple weeks ago.

Bryce
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map
John Rangel

Post by John Rangel »

I 've heard good things about Army sleeping bags that can be purchased at Army surplus stores. I was told they're around 80 Dollars. I know x Marines who use them for winter camping and Swear by them. But i'm pretty sure they're not nearly as light as the Spendy ones.
JRN

Post by JRN »

I HEARD THE MOUNTAIN MEN would slay some large mammal, slice it open & crawl inside. Now THAT is winter camping! It had the extra advantage of being a complete turn-on for the Mtn. women! " What's that smell, Sally? Oh that's Bill, he slept out last night." :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
monkey1031

Post by monkey1031 »

Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Haha I should get one of those\

I got the military 4 piece sleeping bag set and I'm not as happy with it... it doesn't seem like it can stand the cold and doesn't seem to have as much loft. Maybe I got one that was used too much or something.
Bryce

Minnesota Kiting Map