West Side Windsurfing Option for SSE to E

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

West Side Windsurfing Option for SSE to E

Post by chanrider »

I've been meaning to try this launch for a little while, Chris Butzow has talked about it. It's the City of Mound boat launch and beach, identified as Bay Park on the map below.

Worked nice yesterday for some light wind windsurfing (way too many hazards to even think about kiting). I think the wind quality is similar to Wayzata Bay, but the launch is better and there is less boat traffic. Chris said he has worked upwind to the main lake and it gets better there. I just stayed in Cooks Bay and the wind was decent enough for 8.5M sail and a 150l board.

The rigging area is a huge grassy lawn and there is a pretty big beach, which is mostly roped off by swim buoys. But there is plenty of room to launch between the swim buoys and the boat ramp. I parked in the boat ramp lot, very convenient. Also there is parking over by the beach. This spot has nice family hangout potential if it's not too busy.

Definitely upsize your gear compared to Waconia, the water is pretty flat so bigger gear works better.

Mark F
Chris

Re: West Side Windsurfing Option for SSE to E

Post by Chris »

Hi Mark,

Yes. I've sailed there a few times. Good on any easterly. Less boat traffic than Wayzata bay.

The arrow in the picture isn't on the the Mound beach. The Mound beach is off of 110. Near the spot called "Bay Park" in your picture.

I think the wind gets better if you head south into the main upper lake. But if the wind dies, you're a long way from the beach.

I was at Waconia yesterday, I got a few rides on my 6.4. It was just OK from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Then again from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Other times, the wind was too light for my 6.4.

Chris