Lighting the Fuse

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

chanrider

Lighting the Fuse

Post by chanrider »

I picked up an SS Fuse from John Z early in the season. I'm embarassed to say I didn't get on it until today. It was an impromptu gift sesh at the Wac. Decent with a 14 T3 and SX151. Thought the Fuse would work too, but I felt underpowered and tough to get upwind. Seemed to ride better backward than forward (I set up regular). This was probably mainly due to the wind direction I assume.

I think I maybe needed more board speed, especially riding regular with the 4 fins in back. The wind was pretty wacky, so that didn't help. When the gusts came through it felt great. In the lulls I was really pointing downwind.

I'm thinking this board needs a little more go juice to perform? Correct, or do I just need more time to dial it in. Anyway, it felt quite nice, fun in the little swell today, it would be nice to try in bigger swell. Never got it toeside, which is a shame. The wind happened not to cooperate in the short time I had to ride on it today. Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks!
Mark F
Tighe

Re: Lighting the Fuse

Post by Tighe »

As you know Mark I love the Fuse, or as Diego and Geoff have demonstrated, that shape. I'd suggest playing with the footstrap placement. There are so many options, fore and aft and duck or not duck. I ride a set of SX/Misfit pads and straps on mine, not too far back. If I go strapless I'll use the full surface pad that screws on. I have found in Padre I prefer to move the straps back a bit farther when in the waves, cause I'm riding toeside out and heelside in, and only ride backwards in a pinch. I'm not sure if the standard strap setup allows you to duck out the straps. I went to single screws to do that and have some rectangular steel washers that work well. I have a few extra if you want some. They are the same as the old windsurfing ones.

How are your riding it in the water? Flat? up on a rail like a twin tip? somewhere in between? You can do it all, so that probably isn't it. I'd say play with the strap placement.

I don't use the board as a lightwind board, though I know many do. I use it when there are swell and decent winds. It doesn't really want to follow a straight line.

hope that helps
Tighe
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

Thanks Tighe. I think I just needed more wind. I happened to switch over to it just when the wind started sketching out. Then as soon as I came in for dinner it picked up again of course. It's a nice board with a little floaty feel but cuts through chop like butter. I felt like I was side slipping down wind in the lulls. Assuming it's better in powered conditions, would you say go to it with the 14 first or the 11?

I'm sure it would work with either or even a 9M. It definitely felt softer than a regular twin tip which on Waconia is a good thing for old knees. Looking forward to getting know it better, thanks for the tips!
Mark F
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

The brief time I've been riding it, I find it's best for:

1. Big swell conditions - strong westerly days at Malmo or the Wac. This is where it really shines. It's opens up a totally different style and approach to riding those knee-deep or higher days when it's crankin'. The twin tip is still fun, the Fuse just adds a second dimension to the same conditions; slash'n'carve bonus!

2. A session extender for that 3 or 4th set at then end of the day when my legs are already fried. The board rides smoother through the chop than a twin. When I start to loose my sharpness and my 'edge', I've found the Fuse can make those extra end of the day sessions a little more enjoyable.

3. Surf-side in Padre or where ever else kiting might take me with waves. Duh, no 'splanin' needed here.

If it's light-wind conditions, the chop around here usually isn't so bad that a medium to large twin tip doesn't work. I save the Fuse for the days when the water is jacking-up more, that's what it's made for.