LAKAWA

It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips and Tricks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:00 am 

I always appreciate seeing and hearing tips from others... Below are a few tricks I use to make things easier:

For snow kiting on lakes, you need an ice screw. I found it helpful to carry one with me too. Here's a handy way to store one so it's always with you - PVC tube and bungee strap: (credit to Pete G. in lake City for this idea):

Bar straps to secure lines (if yours doesn't have them). Cut a small strip from a bicycle inner tube:

Line tamers - these are handy for keeping the lines organized if you share the bar between different kites. You can order online at: http://www.kitelobster.com/

What to do with all the wet gear when you are done? Go to Fleet Farm, or an army surplus store and get a few army surplus laundry bags. These nylon bags are lined and waterproof. Stuff your kite, wetsuit, harness, etc into these and your kite mobile stays dry.

Kite pump - use one of these $25 battery operated pumps to get the kite pumped up and then finish it off with the hand pump.

Travel bag. I have an NSI deceiver for when I need to travel with a board and kites. If I'm just taking kites and renting a board, a standard golf bag works pretty well and is a little smaller too.

Mark

Post subject: Nice Ones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:32 am 

Nice tips Mark! I buy the "pony-tail" bungees to secure stuff: strapping the wrapped lines on the bar: breakaway holders for my board leash if I get "yarded," etc. I like the line tamer & the ice screw holder. thanks, JRN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:35 am 

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate all the tips I can get.

Post subject: Re: Tips and Tricks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 pm 

Mark,
Are the line tamers available locally or do we have to order them from overseas?
Ben

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:45 pm 

I'm only aware of this site...http://www.kitelobster.com but I'll ask one of our local stores to check to see if they could carry them. They work great!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:58 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Maybe if other kiters have an interest we could save a little on the shipping if nothing else.
Ben