LAKAWA

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Camping in lake of the woods this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm 

Anyone want to go up to lake of the woods and go winter camping?

It looks to be nice and warm and windy.

From Warroad up to the angle and back.

Leave Friday night or very early Sat morning from breezy point. Sleep out on the ice Sat and Sun night (also I know where there is a sauna up in the angle). Visit the island bars up there if desired :D. Come back on Monday.

I'll be using my inflatables... unless someone wants to loan me a few foils :)

Shoot me a email and I'll get back to you!
sieg01@gmail.com

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map

Post subject: Re: Winter Camping in lake of the woods this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 pm 

Hey Bryce,

I'd join you but I have other commitments this weekend and I don't have any vacation. I could do a 3 day weekend 2/14-16... I have the 16th off. Are you pulling a sled on this trip?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 pm 

Yeah it was kinda short notice! I needed some time away and the wind and the weather happened to line up for this weekend

Yup I'll be pulling a sled. It is one of those for ice fishing/pulling a dead deer out of the woods.

I've cut back on some weight (got a much lighter tent and packed a little more efficiently) so the sled shouldn't be too bad to pull.

The 2/14-2/16 wouldn't work for me. I'm planning on heading down to the snowkite rodeo in montana that weekend.

I'm looking at another trip in march... probably starting around march 14th... but the following 2 weekends might work too. Depends on the snow and weather.

Minnesota Kiting Map

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:32 pm 

Bryce,

How was it? I heard on MPR that it was gusting to 62 mph on Saturday in International Falls along with 4 inches of new snow. :shock: I hope you're not hitchhiking back from Canada without a passport.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 pm 

Yes it was windy... I was stuck out in the middle of the lake because it was so windy. I had to stop because my 7m I was severely overpowered... I'll write more on it later.

wow. Looks like warroad had a max wind speed of 52.9 at like 7pm. Flag island had a max speed at 62.1. I have never been out in so much wind.

Minnesota Kiting Map

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hey Bryce, good to see you made it back in one piece! By the time I got home from Warroad on saturday, the wind at my place was already in the 30 mph range with gusts to around 40, and that was only about an hr after you left!! I can only imagine what it was like out there :shock:

Can't wait to hear about it!
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:27 am 

Pictures from the trip.

Attachments:
Lotw2009_distance.JPG
Lotw2009_distance.JPG [ 51.09 KiB | Viewed 4175 times ]
Lotw2009_speed.JPG
Lotw2009_speed.JPG [ 43.62 KiB | Viewed 4173 times ]

Minnesota Kiting Map

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:39 am 

Wind graph from warroad and flag island.

Warroad wind. Setup around 1 and left around 2.

Attachment:
warroadjan31.png
warroadjan31.png [ 25.46 KiB | Viewed 4139 times ]

Flag Island wind. I was getting near here towards the end of the day.

Attachment:
flagjan31.iws.png
flagjan31.iws.png [ 24.5 KiB | Viewed 4138 times ]

Warroad Wind. My last day. It was much nicer wind this day. Left about noon-1.

Attachment:
warroadfeb1.iws.png
warroadfeb1.iws.png [ 20.66 KiB | Viewed 4139 times ]

Last edited by Bryce on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 pm 

Got up to warroad and met ben and jack at around 1. It was an offshore wind and it was really gusty anyways. Jack had got some good rides in the morning but the wind kept picking up. Ben set up his 7m fuel and it was too gusty and not fun for him.

I took a few rides around the area but decided leave to get some some cleaner wind and begin my journey.

I left and I was heading about 45-60 degrees downwind. The snow was very sticky. It was getting much above freezing (high of 39). So it was a little slower going because of that. But with the high wind I cruised and made some good time. I went near a few big groups of ice villages. There were lots of people fishing.

I made my top speed when I got to a nicely plowed icey road probably 2 lanes wide. I was heading pretty close to downwind. I kept diving my kite and made a top speed of 33 with the sled flying behind me. I headed off the ice road and got around all the ice house and continued on my way. At this time I very powered up in the gusts but not overpowered (gusts were around 40mph).

I made another 10 miles. The wind started to really pick up! I had just gotten through a group of ice houses and the gusts were very overpowering. I kept my kite near the ground and wait for the wind to come down. It was too much wind to set my kite down nicely and eventually I did a self rescue.

About this time I was noticing some of the garage from fish houses were being blown around. I looked up and saw that a few portable fish houses had been ripped from right over peoples heads. People started to toss everything back into their trucks and take off. I look a little ways in the distance and there were several permanent ice houses that were moving out to the middle of the lake on their own accord. Those people are going to be surprised when they find their houses are gone.

The wind seem to let up and I decided to try and make it to shore so I could camp on the lee and stay out of the wind.... This did not happen. I made another few miles. The sled would hit a little bump catch the wind and flip over. That is the first time that had happened. I was very very overpowered at times and I had to put down my kite. I did another self rescue put away all my tangled lines. I held the kite up like a sail and trying to make it a little further but that did not work very well and I put a little rip in my kite.

I could make it no further and it was starting to get dark. This is were I was going to camp. In the middle of the lake with no one in sight. I was going to be on my own.

I took out my ice screw and put it in the ice. I got out the tent carefully. I was very worried that it might catch the wind and never be seen again. I attached the corner of the tent to the screw. I put all the stuff I didn't need in a big bag that was weighted down and tied to the sled. It took be an hour to set up the tent. It is something that I normally could do in 5 minutes. The tent was flapping in the wind. I was worried that the poles were going to blow away. It was pretty dark by this time. I couldn't take my goggles off, because of ground blizzard that was going on. This was the windy part of the day. A nearby weather station recorded gusts 62mph. Frustrated and tired, I was in my own personal hell.

Eventually I got it set up. I put EVERYTHING in the tent besides my skis. My sled, all my other gear. It was a tight fit in a 2 person tent. But it was very nice. I curled up in my sleeping bag and listen to the roaring wind that was much much less loud now that we had a thin layer of nylon between us.

I slept fairly well. The temp dropped and by the time I was up in the morning it was less then 10. Everything was froze. We had shore bursts of rain the day before and now all that was frozen. The wind was still blowing around 10-20 when I got up... but by the time I was cooking breakfast it dropped to less then 10mph. I had a nice easy morning. I ice fished (borrowed a little ice auger... didn't catch anything) and relaxed. The wind picked up by noon and I decided to head back. I had a nice day cruising. This are the kind of days I want to be kite camping!

I came across a bright blue ice house in the middle of nowhere. It was tipped on its side. It was a reminder to me of the winds of the day before. It must had been pushed across the lake and finally tripped itself up and tipped over.

I ended up heading to a friend of mine that lives on the lake. The wind wasn't great for getting back to warroad and I was still beat from the day before. She wasn't home (superbowl party, no wonder there weren't many fisherman out that day). And I set up my tent on the lake in front of her house. She got home and I crashed on the nice floor and had an excellent sleep. I caught a ride back to warroad the next day.

That was the trip. Just two days kiting. It was pretty short... but it was intense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 am 

Bryce,

What a great write-up. Thanks for putting it all down on "paper"- it makes it even more intense than when you told the story to the group up on Boulder last weekend. The plots are awesome- 39 miles traveled and 33 mph while pulling a sled! You won't soon forget that journey. As crazy as it sounds, I wish I had been on it. Next time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:53 pm 

I took a video trying to tell about my day.... This was before the wind really picked up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbFFO17-X9Q

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:45 pm 

That is a great story!! Thanks for the write up. You really got a "set" there Bryce. Makes a a nice session on a local lake look like kindergarten.